Monday, March 27, 2017

Road trip in North Island - Day 6

28 December 2016

The morning was extremely quiet. I pulled out myself from the tent for a short walk around the campsite. The nature around was still sleepy, the fog around the mountains, the morning dew still falling on the leaves, chilling stream of water flowing down. It was absolutely fantastic to be there at that moment. Every time I see the pictures of the stream, I relive those moments and it is just as enriching as it was when I was there. It was indeed a very special morning, I was very grateful that I could spend a night in such a pristine place.

Pristine it is
Today when I’m writing about it and recalling those moments, I feel I should have stayed in for another day in the camp, I’m not sure why I dint consider doing that. I wasn’t interested in driving north again to visit those busy beaches of coromandel, instead after having a muesli breakfast, I drove towards Karangahake gorge. I was there 3 weeks ago too, when I visited Auckland for a friend’s wedding. Well, the reason I wanted to stop here was to revisit a spot which had stayed with me during my previous visit and also, to enjoy wood fried pizza at Falls retreat. The pizzas are a must try.

That wood fried pizza man!!!

I reached Karangahape Gorge around 12 PM. I was already hungry, thinking about pizza and also the The Falls Retreat cafe is always quiet busy. I was at cafe around 1230 PM, I was attended after 45 mins (of course they clearly mentioned that the order will be taken only after 40 mins) and when I finally got my pizza it was 2 PM. I was starving by then and in no time I had hogged all except 3 slices. Not willing to push any further, I got that packed for the night.

This spot for some reason stayed with me
After this, I visited the spot I captured on my last visit, it was not more than a 10 mins walk. Who would want to walk after a heavy meal of this sort, atleast not me. I just wanted to find a cozy spot, get comfortable and take a nap. Just then, a random thought came in and like an adamant kid, refused to leave. I wanted to sit in a place where there is shade, the water flowing and there are birds around. Above this, I dint want to walk too long. I just kept walking ahead and came across a sign board for a waterfall in 700 mts. It seemed doable and it lead me to this remote corner, a steep section and I reached a small waterfall, hardly any water but a perfect shady place to rest. I sat there, searching for birds and after a while, one small bird flew right in front of my eyes as if it was there only for me. I now felt silly, for those stupid things I ask for. I sat there looking at the water and the bird occasionally, which were the only two things that were moving around me. I couldn’t gather courage to meditate here.

There was this water fall, enough shade and a small bird
After sitting there long enough, I returned to my car. It was around 5 PM now, too early to reach the campsite which is not too far off. I thought let me go early anyway, as there was nothing else to do. I reached Dickey Flat campsite in next 30 mins. The most crowded campsite, and what was wise planning again to reach early. There was hardly any space available to pitch a tent. Not what I expected, but no complaints, I found a small corner, next to the tree, pitched my tent. There was a stream running behind the camp, I got into my togs and took a dip. Washed myself and lazed around for a while. And I locked myself in the tent for the rest of the evening. It was so noisy, but I was busy with my books so nothing mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment